Friday, August 8, 2008

Nervous about your first massage?

This guide is designed to help you get the most out of your massage. If you might have questions that aren't answered here, contact me at (618) 392-3800.

A few common questions:

Q: Should I arrive early?
A: No. Please come at your scheduled time, turning off your mobile phone before entering. A session may be ending when you arrive.

Q: What should I wear?
A: Dress in clothes that can be removed easily and quickly. Leave excess jewelry at home!

Q: What if I've had a stroke, surgery, or major injury?
A: I may need a note from your physician. Please call first. A note is
always required prior to prenatal massage. I will make a copy for your file.

Q: What if I take a long time to disrobe? I'm very modest!
A: That's ok. Your therapist will
always knock before entering the treatment area. You'll be asked if you are comfortable. You'll be covered at all times (with the exception of the part that your therapist is working on).

Q: What lotions will you use? I don't like to feel greasy.
Me neither! I choose high quality massage cream. It's hypo-allergenic (for my needs and yours) and non-greasy. Most of the cream applied is removed during the massage, so you can go out to dinner or to the store right after the session if you choose.

Relax: arrival, treatment/special needs, and post-care concerns
Other therapists might vary the routine, but this is typically the order of events during a massage.

Arrival

Please arrive on time (no need to come early) in the reception area. You'll be asked to complete a brief intake form and give a little info about yourself and your requests (ie deep, medium, or light pressure). Indicate if there are areas you don't want touched (ticklish toes). Your therapist will go over your form with you before leading you to the treatment area.

The Treatment Area

Not far from the busy downtown area, a quiet and peaceful treatment area awaits you! The massage table is dressed with cool or warm linens (seasonal) and a light blanket for your comfort. There are shelves, hooks, and a counter to store your personal items. Your therapist then leaves the room for you to disrobe in private. Some clients completely disrobe, while others choose to wear some clothing. It's up to you.

Special Needs

Unless you request otherwise, you'll enjoy relaxing instrumental music. Expect a comfortable environment, and speak up if something's not right (too hot, music too loud, painful technique, etc). If you want special attention to an area, it's best to say so at the beginning of a massage. It's perfectly acceptable to say, "Skip my legs and spend more time on my back."

Post-session care

Like before, your therapist will leave you to dress in private and knock before re-entering. It is likely there is another appointment after you, but you should never feel rushed to leave. You'll have a few minutes to ask questions and have the opportunity to reschedule.

Questions?

I hope your concerns about receiving professional massage have been addressed, but I may have missed something. Feel free to call me at (618) 392-3800. Please leave a message, and I'll return your call between appointments.

Ready?
To schedule your first massage, you may call or visit this link (schedule online). I can't wait to see you!

No comments:

The final day for in-store gift pickups before Christmas is Tuesday at Olney Skin Care and Massage

Shop 12pm-8pm Monday and Tuesday 604 West Main Street in Olney, Illinois For other times, call (618) 392-4400.  Click here to send e-gifts.